Saturday, September 8, 2012

No Country for Old Men

Yes that's right, I've just finished reading another Cormac McCarthy novel. There have been a number of his books I've wanted to read for some time, and this is the last of those I'd recently borrowed from the library. This is, undoubtedly, my favourite of his books, and in fact has possibly edged its way into my Top 5 book list (if I actually kept a list, which I don't, because asking me to restrict my favourite books into a 'Top whatever' list is just cruel).

WOW! What an incredible novel. McCarthy is, quite simply, a brilliant writer. The pace of this book was relentless and a real page turner. The voices of his characters and the dialogue were so real and made it possible to hear those accents and those conversations in my own head. Nothing in this novel was jarring or felt out of place.

I'm reluctant to post any plotlines to novels on my blog as I'm not a fan of giving spoilers and ruining the reading experience for people, but for those of you who have seen the movie of the same name, it is pretty much identical to the novel (granted, it's been a long time since I saw the film, but I don't remember any differences that stood out). If you're not much of a reader, and haven't seen the film, do it now. Actually, if you're not much of a reader, why the bloody hell not, with such amazing books as this out there :)

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy - 5 out of freaking 5 giant stars

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

2 comments:

  1. I really wanted to 'like' your post, but you don't have a like button.... I love reading books that have associated movies. Sometimes I read the book before seeing the movie and vice versa. I loved this movie, so I can't wait to read the book (after I finish reading 1.5 George R R Martin books representing the last bit of the A Song of Ice and Fire series- a cool 1500 pages)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see, I can't recommend it highly enough :)

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with my readers, so thanks for leaving a comment :)